Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rules

I'm convinced this exercise will always bring about insightful, interesting results: Spend lots of time with the same group of people, without really defining, out-right, what your social norms are.  Then, after a time, come together and ask the group what they think the rules are. 


This is probably especially entertaining with young kids.  We did it today, and the things they said were full of surprises.  Some kids had really insightful ideas that we didn't expect.  Others said things that made us wonder where the idea was generated.  Some responses had a perfectly clear source attached to them. Not only was it telling of what their experience in our own little culture is, but it was also telling of what is being communicated to them, here or elsewhere, in one way or another.  

I presented the idea as such: First, asking them if they know what a rule is.  Lots of answers of both "yes" and "no" ensued.  Ultimately and together, we came up with this definition: Rules are things you should do or you shouldn't do.  So, I told them I wanted to make a list of the things we should do here at our school, and the things we shouldn't do.  Here it is:




I think there will be more rules added.  I consider this a very organic list, so maybe after awhile, I will post the change we have seen in it.


1 comment:

  1. This is great! I love that Ava is the role model for a quiet inside voice.

    ReplyDelete