Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Color math concepts

What is your favorite color? This is a more dynamic question than one might think.  Some kids recognize that their favorite color changes, even on a daily basis.  Some are committed fully to one color, others committed fully to all the colors.  Some kids can't choose just one, but can easily identify 2 or 3 favorites.  When I was a child, this question is the one thing I remember consistently lying about.  I told people my favorite color was yellow, when really, it wasn't.  My reason for this lie was that I felt sorry for yellow, because nobody ever chose it.  I wanted yellow to have at least one dedicated fan! With this logic today, and in this environment, I would have chosen orange.  Once we established who liked what color, we charted it, and talked about which color the most people chose, which color the fewest people chose, etc.  When I pointed out that nobody chose orange, at least one of the kids called out, "Yes, I like orange, because I like all the colors." So, indeed, it is deceiving to have that empty space next to orange, because the "like all" kids include it.


No comments:

Post a Comment