Sunday, February 17, 2013

Getting Dressed for the Cold

At a preschool where we are committed to spending lots of time outside, we also spend lots of time getting dressed (and undressed) for the weather.  This requires a lot of patience from the teachers.  Our general approach is to ask the kids, "What will you put on first? Show me." and if we hear them say, "I can't," we say something like, "I want to see you try, and I will be here to help you if you need help."  Most of the time, they try and surprise themselves with what they can do.  Sometimes they get frustrated and we help.  Inevitably, though, lots of time is spent on the task of getting snowpants, boots, mittens, scarves, hats, and coats on 10-15 preschoolers several times a day.



A long time ago, I made up a song about this, so I decided to use it in this setting.  I taught the kids the song at circle time, and they acted out pretending to put on their outdoor gear.  Once they were used to the song, I started singing it more casually (and slowly) when they were actually getting dressed.  As is the case most of the time, music is motivating, and they rise to the task.  Here is a video of my own kids demonstrating.

I gotta get dressed for the weather outside.
Gotta get dressed for the cold outside.
Gotta get dressed for the weather, dressed for the cold outside.

First I'll put on my snowpants.
Then I'll put on my boots.
Next I'll put on my mittens.
My hat, and my coat.

I gotta get dressed. . . 


Ultimately, we want them to discover their own ability, to learn new tasks, to gain confidence and autonomy and independence.  But this all has to come from them, and it has to be fun.




It's a wonderful sight when that feeling of pride stretches across their little faces.  I also find that this is a hard time NOT to use empty words of praise.  I've had to intentionally use different ways to express my pleasure, because it's just too easy to say, "Good job!" Instead, I use tone of voice (surprise and excitement) to reflect what they have done.  Something like, "Wow, look at that! You got your mittens on!"  

These tasks may seem small to those of us who are big, but to the small people, this is a big deal!


1 comment: