Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Beauty in the Cold, Hard Snow

I have a pretty high tolerance for winter.  I love snow and ice and even the crisp, cold air.  I can put up with it for a long time, which puzzles people who think that living in this part of the country would be miserable.  I do have to admit, though, that late February/early March, when the fluffy snow has turned to icy, hard chunks, blanketed by a thick layer of ice. . . I'm not so fond of that.  That makes me ready to be done with winter.

Just as I was feeling a bit grumbly about this, though, I was heading out with a dozen-or-so preschoolers, and I noticed the beautiful frost all around us.  Jack Frost had done some beautiful artwork overnight, and I was suddenly delighted to witness it.  Windows had delicate paintings on them, tables and stumps and pots had intricate 3-dimensional designs decorating all their edges.

One benefit to being at a school that prioritizes being outside in all kinds of weather is that even when it seems like crumby weather outside, there are little surprises out there, ready to catch your attention and soften the brittle edges.  Little surprises that give a gentle nudge to your attitude, suggesting that if you look, the beauty is still there, or there again, or there all anew!





No comments:

Post a Comment